1. INVITATION :
It is impossible to live fulfilled lives without our parents. Family has always been the basis of society. Family unity is what helps people grow both as individuals and as members of society. However, today - in the more individualistic society we live in - it seems that the role of the family is changing. Therefore, Kalamansi Books and Things, Filipino Association of University Women , and Reiyukai America is pleased to invite you to participate in the 2019 Letter to My Parents ContestTM in Hawai'i with a vision and strong wish to maintain healthy family relationships and improve communications within the family..
To participate, a contestant must write a letter dedicated to his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and submit it to the Organizing Committee. The submitted letters will go through several selection processes in order to be accepted for the final presentation. The letters that qualify will be read by the original writers in front of the judges who will then select the award recipients.
3. PRIZES AND AWARDS
The ten finalists will be receiving the following prizes.
- - A $50 Gift Certificate.
- - An opportunity to be published in digital and print format.
- - A certificate of participation
The judges will select three award recipients based on different categories. Each of the winners will receive a prize of $500
Individuals between the ages of 14 and 22 residing in the State of Hawai'i can participate in this contest (High School and College Students). Please be aware that participants 17 years old or under must submit a Parental / Guardian Consent Form giving them permission to participate in the contest. Contestants from previous years may participate by submitting a different letter.
5. WRITING A LETTER
As mentioned above, the submitted letter must be written with the intention of maintaining a healthy family relationship and/or improve the current family relations.
5.1 Guiding Questions
The contestant is required to submit her/his work illustrated with concrete examples from his/her personal family life-reflecting on family relations and interactions. The participant may use one or more of the suggested guiding questions to write the letter.
- - What do my parent(s) mean to me?
- - What would I like to do for my parent(s)?
- - How have my parents' experiences and influence affected or shaped the person I am today?
- - How I can improve relationships in my family?
The submitted letter must contain the following three components.:
- - Name(s) to whom it is addressed.
- - A narration of one or more significant family experiences.
- - A proposal - either implicit or explicit - that suggests how to improve or to maintain a positive relationship within the family. A proposal can be considered as a new family tradition that a contestant would like to bring in to the family.
The participant may choose one or a combination languages that are used in the State of Hawai'i. If any other language besides English is used, the participant must provide the English translation.
Each work submitted must not exceed more than 1000 words.
Each participant must submit a letter that is clear, honest, sincere, completely written in one's own words, and based on his/her personal experiences. Letters based on fictitious events or happenings will not be accepted.
The submitted letter will be evaluated based more on how the contestant proposes to maintain healthy family relationships or how to improve parent-child relationships, rather than its writing style or the amount of family experiences described in the letter.
6. ENTRY INFORMATION
The participants may submit their work either online or via email.
Write a letter
Send your email including the following:
- - Original Letter (.docx, .txt, .pdf)
- - Copy of official US identification (e.g. driver license, school ID, or passport):Selfies are not accepted.
- - Registration Form
- - If you are 17 years old and under, do not forget to include Parental/Guardian Consent Form signed by your parent/guardian. Registration Form and Parental Consent Form are downloadable from the website or you can request it via email.
7. STRUCTURE OF THE CONTEST
7.1 First Stage
Participants will be allowed to submit their work starting on Saturday, September 20, 2019.
Participants will have until 17:00 on Monday, October 18, 2019 to submit their letters.
7.2 Semifinal Stage
The letters that have been submitted will pass through an elimination process by which the ten best letters will be selected by November 6, 2019 at the latest. The contestants who made through the final stage will be contacted by the Organizing Committee via email or phone.
7.3 Final Stage
The Final Presentation will take place on Saturday, November 16, 2019 at Hawaii State Library (478 S King St, Honolulu, O’ahu), Starting at 1pm. The finalists will read aloud their letters without altering or modifying the content. If the letter was not written in English, there will be simultaneous translations during the reading. The judges will then determine the award recipients. The judges, who will are chosen by the Organizing Committee, will consist of people who are recognized for their moral and intellectual reliability. Their decisions are final.
8: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By participating in the contest, each contestant will understand and agree to the following Terms and Conditions.
- - Each contestant must follow these guidelines
- - Submitted letter will not be returned and will be property of the Letter to My Parents(TM) Contest Organizing Committee. The letters may be published in newspapers, web pages, electronic mails, magazines, as well as being presented/displayed in radio programs, television and in future events organized by any of the Organizing Committee members.
- - The Organizing Committee will not be responsible for any family issue that may arise due to the content of the letters.
For any questions regarding the contest,
contact through the following:
Phone: (808) 348-2797Jennifer ()
Any unseen issue will be resolved by the
11: ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
- - Kalamansi Books and Things
- - Filipino Association of University Women
- - Reiyukai America
- - Hawaii State Library
- - Ishihara Enterprises Inc.
13: COMMUNITY SUPPORTERS
- - sariling Gawa Youth Council, Inc.